Loyalty and a Few Laughs

The other day I was talking to an old friend I had fallen out of touch with. She's the kind of person that will have her head in the clouds one minute, only to come crashing down in a tailspin of emotion over the smallest thing. She was extremely emotionally unstable, and her life had no foundation at all. She was not a good person to grow close to and confide in. So I silently cut the cord to our friendship.

But it wasn't all bad. We had some really good times together. When she was in a good mood, she was a fun person to be around and a good friend to talk to.

It's funny how willing we are sometimes to overlook all the bad in a friendship for just a few moments of laughter with that person. I came out of that friendship pretty badly burned, but talking to her for even a few minutes the other day still put me in a good mood. I automatically looked past all the bad and chose to remember the few good times.

I won't be trying to breathe life into the friendship again; she's still crazy and still unstable. But while talking to her, I saw something in the way humans are built that I've never paid much attention to before: the amount of loyalty we feel and the amount of tolerance we allow ourselves to feel for a friend we've shared a few laughs with.

1 comments:

AardvarkManiac said...

Not to be controversial, but I think I have to disagree. Humans are inherently bad. We're born in sin. Anything good that we do or feel is only by the grace of our Lord, God. When it comes to purely fleshly desires, I'd say selfishness is pretty high up there. I'd say that you're an awesome guy, Dan, and that's how God's made you, specifically. Some people just aren't like that, and only look out for number one, unfortunately. It's not a good attitude, and certainly not righteous, but they do. The way you're able to look past past offenses is awesome. It's a good quality to possess. Remember to give God the glory for everything. Love ya, bro! =)